Friday, January 24, 2014

“A person is fat because he or she wants to be fat.”


How does that quote make you feel?  It makes me feel pretty terrible.  I never once in my life flat out said "I choose to be fat."  But then again, I have in the past said "I choose to eat this cookie.  I choose to eat another slice of pizza.  I choose to not go to the gym."

Jillian Michaels' says:

This does not mean you are in love with love handles, but rather consider what the payoff is for keeping the weight on. Here are some examples of what I’m talking about: Do you put the weight on because your husband, mom, dad, etc., is heavy and when you try to lose it he/she pulls away from you (and that would be because the person feels threatened you might leave when you get thin!). Do you keep the weight on because it’s the one thing you can control? Is it a way to reward and nurture yourself when you feel alone and empty? Maybe the weight is your excuse for not pursuing your dreams. (Many people do this because they are afraid that if they tried and failed they couldn't handle the disappointment.) 

I'm always on a never-ending self-reflection quest to figure out why I am the way that I am.  What I have figured out is that I am an emotional eater.  If I am depressed or sad, I will reach out for something.  If we are celebrating an occasion, we always celebrate with food (who in America doesn't?).  Food is comfort and food is celebratory.

I think I may even be this way because I am scared that if I lose all this weight and get to my goal that I will have all this extra skin flapping about and then I will need to find a way to get skin removal surgery, which looks hellish and painful.

I always think that the most difficult part of weight loss is changing your mind set.  One second I feel so strong and convicted to my new way of thinking that nothing is going to stop me, then the next second the old habits come flooding back.

It's such a constant struggle - but one I will not give up on, even if all I ever achieve is this yo-yoing.


No comments:

Post a Comment