Thursday, January 16, 2014

The 30 Minute Circuit at Planet Fitness

We all need a support system.  Whether we have a gym buddy, a trainer to push us, a family member who is trying for the same goals, or simply an online community where we can go and share tips and stories.

I myself am a needy person when it comes to this.  I like having all of the above.  My self-confidence waxes and wanes frequently ranging from - "I can't do this" straight to "I'm a ninja!"  I really think we all experience this and that I am not alone.  What sets the winners from the losers is knowing, and if not knowing then trying, to pull ourselves out of the hole, to get up out of that warm cozy bed, and fight.  Never giving up I truly believe is the key to this.  I have not been successful yet, but I have had small successes and small failures alike.

This weak I was feeling a bit weaker than usual, mentally.  The other night I got home at 7:45pm, still had to make dinner and go to the gym.  By the time dinner was over it was around 9pm.  I was feeling exhausted and flat out told him that I wasn't going to the gym that night.  Even though my husband had an art project due the next day at school, he motivated me and dragged my butt to the gym.  Thank God for Planet Fitness' 30 minute workout.  By the time I had gotten to the gym I felt pumped and ready to go.  Leaving the house is truly one of the hardest steps for me, but once I am there, I am ready to kick it.

A sample of what a 30 minute circuit may look like - my gym is configured a bit differently.


The 30 minute workout at Planet Fitness and other like establishments really is helpful.  It's a fool-proof way to get in a great workout in a short amount of time by mixing cardio with weight training.  It's 20 stations that take a total of 30 minutes.  The "traffic light" changes from red to green when you are supposed to follow your next station.  The weight machines range from leg, to back, to arms and abs for a total body workout.

I plan on adding this into my fitness routine.  But I caution you to from making this the only exercise that you do.  There are many weight lifting machines that this does not include.  I plan on adding in these different machines on the weekends when I have more time and energy to stay a bit longer.

You can also do different exercising along with the step stations.  I myself have added step lunges, kicks, squats and knee raises to mix it up and make it more fun instead of simply stepping up and down.  There is a sign demonstrating different exercises on the wall at my gym.

Examples of how to vary the Step Workout.


Has anyone had success with the 30 minute circuit at Planet Fitness or elsewhere?  What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I am currently doing the 30-minute circuit at Planet Fitness as part of my weekly routine. I usually don 30 minutes of cardio and then go into the circuit training. I just started this with my trainer so I cannot say I have had success but it is a great workout.

    ReplyDelete