Friday, December 20, 2013

What to eat at Miller's Ale House

Miller's Boston Ale House

With my husband just finishing his classes for the semester, and with Christmas being next week, we thought it would be nice for him to come pick me up at my office and take me out to lunch!

I went to Miller's Ale House a week or two ago with my co-workers and I thought it was great in there.  The fat me was in heaven.

So today I go to look up their menu online, and as usual, am horrified.  Thankfully though like a guardian angel they have a "lighter fare" section for those that want to watch ourselves.  They have all other nutritional information posted online as well.

WHAT TO ORDER

(1) LIGHTER FARE POT-STICKERS



Lighter Fare Pot-stickers - 490 calories
Steamed Pork Dumplings on a bed of Cabbage. Served with a Tangy Plum Sauce.

Last time, I ordered the "Lighter Fare" Potstickers.  They were REALLY good, but face it, 6 pot-stickers isn't enough to satisfy anyone, let alone me.  However, they are a reasonable option for some.

The pdf nutritional menu does not offer more details on their lighter fare menu, so unfortunately all I can dig up is the calorie amount.

(2) BAHAMIAN MAHI MAHI

Lighter Fare Bahamian Mahi Mahi - 460 Calories

Mahi Mahi, Broccoli, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Red Potatoes, Lemon, Bell Peppers and Onions Marinated in Garlic Wine Sauce with a Hint of Tabasco® and Baked in a Foil Bag
This option looks the healthiest of the bunch since it includes fish, which is super healthy for you and mahi mahi is a nice type, along with all of the vegetables.

I am going to be ordering this along with a side of rice (which is 190 calories) for a total of 650 calories.  Usually I do not have so many calories for lunch, but this will probably be my "main" meal of the day and I will have a lighter than usual dinner.  But I also plan on hitting the gym again tonight so that will help!

(3) ORIENTAL CHICKEN

Teriyaki Marinated Boneless Breast of Chicken, Seared to Perfection and Topped with Fresh Pineapple. Served with a Choice of Potato and Cole Slaw
While I could not find a photo of this and also while it is not on their lighter fare, this dish has 450 calories plus whatever side you choose.  If you get this with broccoli, it will only set you back 510 calories.  Not bad!

WHAT NOT TO ORDER

(1) MILLER'S SEAFOOD LOBSTER CLAM BAKE

Miller's Seafood Lobster Clam Bake - 1900 calories

Snow Crab, Cold Water Lobster Tail, Mussels, Clams, Shrimp, Redskin Potatoes and Corn on the Cob Cooked in Crab Boil & Old Bay. Served with a Taste of our Clam Chowder.
1900 calories!!!!!!! AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE A SIDE!!!!!!!!!  Once you see that astonishing number, this dish falls flat pretty quickly.  Not to mention the 84g of fat.

This one really threw me for a loop because everything is BROILED there is NOTHING fried and yet look at those calories and fat!! Imagined if it was fried!  I am fainting!

(2) ENGLISH STYLE FISH AND CHIPS


English Style Fish and Chips - 2090 calories
A Generous Portion of Flaky White Fish Fried Golden Brown. Served with Cole Slaw and French Fries.

This takes the cake.  This plate has 2090 calories and that is just the fish alone without the tartar sauce, fries or cole slaw.

(3) BROWNIE HOT FUDGE SUNDAE


Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae - 2700 calories
It is not surprise that a Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae on ANY menu is one to steer clear of - but still at 2700 calories and 101g of fat, it is quite impressively terrible for you.  I almost feel like restaurants that serve this stuff should be locked up.  

So many people have NO CLUE what they are eating.  Would you REALLY choose this if you KNEW it was 2700 calories?  Even if you are sharing it????

Once again, Miller's disappoints.  Many restaurants do.  BUT at least Miller's has some decent choices as well. 

You just have to be strong when you are ordering!

No comments:

Post a Comment