Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Frozen Crock Pot Meal - Savory Pepper Steak

Another modification from the awesome over at Mommy's Fabulous Finds about pre-making easy crock-pot freezer meals.

With Christmas just a week away, we are all busy trying to fit in our normal busy schedules along with all the Christmas festivities, cookie making, friend-seeing, gift wrapping and carol singing that I thought that the last recipe for Tropical Meatballs was such a success that I would try another!

So without further a-do, I give you Savory Pepper Steak.

SAVORY PEPPER STEAK - SERVES 4


298 calories per serving

Savory Pepper Steak



  • 1 package of beef stew meat boneless chuck fresh (1.5 lbs)
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour Unbleached)
  • 3/4 of a giant onion or 1 whole medium/large onion, sliced
  • 1 tbs of chopped garlic (I use chopped garlic in water)
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 2 tbs of Worcestershire sauce (I use Lea & Perrin's)
  • a few dashes of steak seasoning (I recommend McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning Montreal Steak 15% less Sodium)
  • a few dashes of Molasses Bacon seasoning (I used McCormmick Grill Mates)
  • a tbs of lower sodium soy sauce

CALORIE BREAKDOWN


6oz serving of beef - 245 calories
flour - 25 calories
onion - 12 calories
garlic - 1 calorie
pepper - 9
Worcestershire sauce - 2 calories
seasoning - 0 calories
low sodium soy sauce - 4  calories

INSTRUCTIONS


Toss steak in salt, pepper, & flour and add to gallon-sized freezer bag. In a med bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients, add to bag. Zip close and place in freezer. When ready to use thaw in fridge overnight. Cook on low 7 hours or on high for 3 hours.

As you can see from the original recipe, I modified it quite a bit to go with what I had at home.  I did not have steak sauce so I substituted a little bit of soy sauce - I thought that would help.  I also completely disregarded the tomatoes because my husband hates them.  Also, we did not have beef bouillon so I left that out too.  

Feel free to serve this over brown rice whole grain (by Carolina) for an additional 150 calories per 3/4 cup or white rice for 160 calories per 1/4 cup.

MY REVIEW


Originally my husband lost track of the time that it was in the crock-pot for.  The original recipe says 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high and I think we stuck pretty close to it - but it was overcooked to me.  I would suggest cooking it 1 hour less - low for 7 hours or high for 3 hours (like I stated above).

Overall, 3 out of 5 stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment