Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Surving the holidays



With Christmas only a week away, now is the time where all the cookies are coming out, the party gatherings are in full swing, and it seems like something tempting is being thrown in front of you every minute of the day.

For me, at my office we had someone drop off a giant plate of cookies last night.  So far I haven't had one.  I wish I had taken a picture of it when it was still full.  This was the plate of cookies this morning:

Half eaten tray of cookies
Traditionally the holidays can go 1 of 2 ways : 1) Stuff your face and regret everything in the New Year or 2) Deprive yourself so badly that you end up binge eating or doing something stupid

Anyway, the point is, these cookies are tempting me.  And while I am far away from being perfect as I had a couple extra foods last night once I got home, the point is your "diet" (or better yet, way of life) is right NOW.  There is no tomorrow as far as life is concerned.  We only have the present.  Deciding to have a life change and create new healthier habits cycles every day and just like the sun, it rises again the next morning staring you in the face.

It often seems that my diet is starting over again, almost daily, until I realized that my diet does start over daily.  Often I hear from my mom "Oh I'm going go start again on Monday" and I have found myself saying this as well.



The reality is, every morning is a new start to your diet.  Today isn't going to be 100% like yesterday.  Plans will change, your meals will change, and your motivation will wax and wane at different times than it did yesterday.  

Evil cookie


And while this cookie may be staring at my face, for now, in the present, I decide to skip it.  That doesn't mean I will deprive myself this whole Christmas season.  It just means right now I am strong and can pass it.

After all, if we make more good decisions than bad decisions, it's a win.  

If I come out of the Christmas season a little lighter than I went in, this will be a success.



No comments:

Post a Comment